Personal Storage Space
Upon enrollment, every member of Freiburg University receives a personal storage space (home-directory), which is easily accessible and backed-up automatically.
You can access the data saved in your home-directory with a secure connection to Freiburg University’s network (FUN). This data is stored on a fileserver in the University IT Services and undergoes regular backups, making the Homedirectory an ideal place to store copies of important documents (i.e. Theses and final dissertations).
The space available for University members is 2 GB. This space can be increased by 20% for up to 7 days, and the students may also increase the 2 GB with a justified reason.
The personal register is set up automatically through the subdirectory public_html. All data stored in your public_html directory are immediately available by entering http://omnibus.uni-freiburg.de/~UserID into your browser.
How to access your personal directory
You can access your personal directory through Windows, Linux, MAC OS X without having to install any additional software.
- Whenever you log in to a University IT Services computer workstation, the Windows system automatically provides instant access to your home-directory after logging in. Likewise, you have access to all the data saved on your fileserver in the net.point PCs and computers in the computer lab after entering your userID and password.
- If you would like to access this fileserver while working from your computer at home, you must first be connected to the Freiburg University Network (FUN). In order to do this, please log in to FUN’s VPN client.
- In Windows you need to start Windows Explorer, open the “extras” menu and select the option “connect to network drive”. Then you are asked to assign a letter to the new drive (free choice). As folder name you enter \\userid.files.uni-freiburg.de\userid (using your Uni-Account instead of “userid”). Then click on “connect using a different user name” and enter: public/userid plus your personal password. You may be asked to authenticate yourself another time.
- In Mac OS X (10.5 and above) you need to start the finder, open the menu “go to,” select “connect to server” and enter smb://userid.files.uni-freiburg.de/userid.
- In Linux use the smbclient address. For example: smbclient //UserID.files.uni-freiburg.de/UserID –U UserID
- If you are NOT connected to the University Network, you need to install special software (WinSCP, SSH, MacFusion) in order to access your home-directory. If this is the case, the server name is login.uni-freiburg.de.